Will vegetable gardening become too trendy?

>> Saturday, June 6, 2009

Since I’ve been a home owner, somewhere around 35 years, there’s been a vegetable garden in my back yard. I have never thought of myself as trendy, organically sensible or economically motivated, it is just something I do. I can’t imagine being without fresh grown tomatoes or cucumbers in the summer.

With the economy in such turmoil it only makes sense that more gardeners will turn to vegetable growing to supplement their food supply. I only hope that it won’t turn a down-to-earth, traditional form of gardening into a trendy activity.

It’s not that I have anything against people discovering the joy of growing their own vegetables. I’d love to see a vegetable garden in every yard. It’s just that I’d hate to see it turn into a fashionable, short-lived hobby complete with expensive tools, designer clothes and high-tech seeds.

Despite my misgivings, I think gardeners who attempt growing their own vegetables will find it easy and rewarding. After that first taste of fresh-picked produce there’ll be no going back.

Getting started may be the biggest obstacle. Not only are there many vegetables to choose from, there are also many varieties of each vegetable available. Which ones will taste best? Which ones will grow in Muskoka? Seeds or plants? From where are they available?

As in any venture it’s best to start small. You don’t want to get overwhelmed with produce – and weeds – before you’re more experienced. Even one tomato plant in a patio container can get you started.

You don’t have to have a specially designated vegetable garden space. Anywhere you can provide the two major requirements that are important for success: good soil and at least six hours of sunlight, you’re ready to grow. You can even grow vegetables in among your perennials if you like.

Muskoka has a somewhat short growing season so there are some limitations as to what will grow and how. For vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, broccoli and cabbage, which have a longer growing season, it’s necessary to set out plants, after the danger of frost is over, that have been started indoors. If they sell the vegetables as plants in cell packs it’s a good indication that’s probably the best way to use them in your garden.

Plants that grow well from seed in my garden are: cucumbers, zucchini, squash, peas, beans, carrots, lettuce, kale and Swiss chard. I grow onions from sets that are like little bulbs. This year I’m going to try parsnips. I haven’t had much luck with corn (not enough sun I think), radish (my soil may be too sandy), beets (same reason), and spinach (I have no idea why).

Check the labels or seed packets for spacing. Overcrowding vegetables will reduce the yield. Plants like squash and cucumbers need lots of space. Tomatoes may need vertical support.

After you’ve made your choices and planted everything, it’s gardening as usual. You know how it works: you weed and water when needed; fertilize or add compost occasionally; watch them grow and pick the veggies when they’re ready.

Whether your motivation is to lessen your reliance on imported food, to reduce your carbon footprint, to save on your grocery bill, to have more healthful produce or to be trendy, remember that vegetable growing comes with a warning: MAY BE ADDICTIVE.

0 评论:

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Vegetable Garden by zwey.com

Back to TOP